My Nephew Alan

My Nephew Alan

domenica 25 novembre 2007

YouTube



According to wikipedia, YouTube is a video sharing website where users can upload, view and share video clips. It is perhaps the more exciting tools of our bloggineglish course and there’s no doubt that it can be very useful if it is used in a intelligent way…As a matter of fact, I found several websites which focus on different tools like videos, images, set of questions and vocabulary idiom and give us online lessons for practicing English.

Nowadays, a wide variety of video content are displayed, we can find everything from movie clips, to TV clips and music videos, as well as amateur content such as videoblogging and short original videos. I think it’s another wonderful example which can help us to improve our language skills in a funny way. When language learners, in particularly upper-intermidiate reach such level of the language how can get better or keep their memory active with English? There is no easy answer to this question. People learn languages in many different ways. We should be selective, in other words start to combine English with our interest and hobby. YouTube and the other web 0.2 tools come our assistance...

Nevertheless, I would stress that English has consolidated its dominance as the language of the Internet, where -according to statistics- 80percent of the world’s electronically stored information is in English …It is the common language in every field, from science to air traffic control to global jihad, where it is apparently the means of communication between speakers of Arabic and other languages. I recently read in a widely read English newspaper, The International Herald Tribune that the English language is still spreading thanks to the new virtual empire of the Internet.

4 commenti:

monica ha detto...

Hi Elisa,
I agree with you on the funny way of learning English with YouTube. It is surely the most attractive way of approaching a language as it offers videos of every kind, most of them created by young people with whom we share similar interests.
English, as you said, is undoubtedly getting empowered by its vast use on the net. I saw that most of the videos on YouTube are in English; I think that it's useful also to see how foreigners are familiar with the world official languge. Many people coming from countries where the English language is not their first language prefer to use English for their YouTube videos. I think that is a consequence of the power of that language as it has the ability to link people from all over the world.

monica ha detto...

ReHi Barchessa!!!
I forgot to comment your favourite video, sorry.
But, what can I say...IT's wonderful!!! And it remembers me of my childhood when I was sitting in front of the Tv and singing this beautiful song while my brother was getting exhausted about my intonation...Can you imagne this?!!Now it makes me laugh but then I was very angry with him!!!!!
very nice choice!!!!!:-)

elenacarlet ha detto...

Hi Elisssa!!
Well, I agree with what you wrote in your post about You Tube, so I won't be repetitive...Like you, I was very surprised about the fact that there is a huge number of people who store information in English, it's incredible!I think that it's wonderful to know a language which is spoken alomost all over the world! In this way, people who come from different countries can communicate and share their experiences, speaking the same language! It could be the occasion to recognize to have something in common with each other as well...Don't you think so?

Valeria ha detto...

Hi Ely!
I agree with you: YouTube can be useful for our English learning, but we have to know what we’re searching for. I mean, we can’t stop to the first video we found, because probably it isn’t useful for our learning abilities. We also have to filter the videos we find because, as you said, in YouTube there is material of different kind. So, we have to choose and select useful videos and to focus on them. Obviously, I think that not only more serious video are useful: I found interesting the video Sarah proposed us, the one about the translator, but it wasn’t a video thought for learning, as the video on TeacherTube.
Bye!